Saturday, April 5, 2014

Blog 11: Joining the Fold

It has finally happened! After several semesters of having extreme doubts about myself and what I have been doing with my life I have finally done it! I am now a music major! Being that I went from being a business major to a music major, it may seem like a betrayal of what this blog is supposed to be about (this is for marketing class after all.) However, I know that I can still use what I have learned during my time as a business major throughout the rest of my college career.

To expedite things, here is a list:

  1. My interpersonal skills have improved tremendously. Starting with BU-113 and continuing on through many other courses I have worked with a wide range of very different people. I have learned how to interact within an organization and as a leader. 
  2. I am far more organized than I have ever been. I have learned the importance of developing a schedule and getting work done on time. 
  3. I can now give an effective and well done presentation. Referencing my last post, I had to give a presentation to my History of Jazz class the life and works of Hugh Masekela. I would not have done as well on it if I had not learned in my business classes proper presentation procedures. In fact, my boss at my workstudy is using my presentation as a good example of what one should look like in an upcoming training using Prezi (if you haven't checked out Prezi, you will be doing yourself a big favor by doing so.)

I have learned so much as a business major but I do not have the passion to do it day after day for the rest of my life. However, I know that the music business is something that I will be a part of as a musician and music lover. Having kept a business minor, I will have a leg up getting into this highly competitive and changing industry. I will be working with a variety of individuals who are creative and business oriented. I am more prepared.

In the end, I would like to thank everyone that has helped me reach this point in my life. I couldn't have done it without you all and I will not forget what I have learned.

To sum it all up...

No comments:

Post a Comment