Saturday, March 8, 2014

Blog 8: Bankrupt On Selling

Hello again! I've spent a large portion of this blog writing about the Punk attitude I try to have about much of what I care about. I love the community, I love the music, and I love the sense of identity it brings. Being true to yourself is incredibly important to remaining sane. Punk is supposed to be anti-corporate and materialistic, but here I am, a second year business major with a soft spot for buying shoes. I can't help but feel like I'm betraying everything I should stand for. I have started to feel the difficulty in reconciling  my Punk roots with my educational aspirations. I suppose the question I'm trying to approach in this blog is whether or not this can be done: Can one keep one's integrity in the business world? I am not sure I will have an answer.

The Bad:

  1. The feeling of manipulation I have been starting to have in regards to marketing techniques and strategies. 
  2. The worrisome way children are marketed to in this country.
  3. The idea of large corporations controlling the world (you can't tell me they don't, its messed up.)
  4. The direction the human race is going in this constant consumer culture where we invest our time in consuming products for the sake of consuming (this is especially worrisome because I do it too.) 

I have pondered much over these bad ideas recently. I can't stand the idea of trying to convince/manipulate people into purchasing the latest gizmo or gadget. Maybe I'm too starry eyed and idealistic, but I believe that whatever it is that is being sold or produced should speak for itself. I think this comes from my belief that music should speak for itself instead of trying to spoon-feed it to the music-listening world. It is why I can't stand the idea of music critics. Who are they to say whether an album is good or bad or "art?" Just listen to it and make your own decision! The topic of children marketing scares me as well. It is so underhanded and I definitely believe it has created a generation of children who are complacent consumer cadets. This is allowed to happen because the government decreased regulations in the 1980's. The fact that business has such a hold on policy is terrifying for a person like me who already doesn't have much faith in the government. There is some good however.

The Good:

  1. I have developed excellent interpersonal skills. I have my grocery store job back home to thank for getting me out of my shell. 
  2. My ability to work with/lead a group has increased. 
  3. I am developing good organizational and work skills.
  4. I'm good at being a business major. 

I have learned many useful skills that I cannot deny have made me more adept at existing in the world we live in. I am no longer the shy weirdo I used to be. I have gained the ability to talk to people and work with them and even offer my own opinions as a leader. I have finally made the work ethic my parents instilled in me even better by finally getting organized and procrastinating less. The final observation I have made is that I'm good at what I do. However, this scares me more than anything. Have I lost track of who I am? Why am I doing what I am doing when I cannot identify with it, and why am I good at it?

This is not my most cheerful post, but I believe it is important to question what is being taught. I wish I could offer better insight, but I think I'll leave it up to whoever reads this to come to their own conclusion. As always, here is a song I really like that is somewhat related (I think). Modest Mouse -Bankrupt On Selling

(The above song was written by a blue-collar high school dropout and yet I see so much truth and wisdom in what he sings. Does one need a college education to understand the world? Maybe not.)

No comments:

Post a Comment